Community Health Specialist (Bilingual English/Spanish Preferred)
COVID-19 vaccination required for all YCCO employees except for an approved accommodation for medical or sincerely held religious belief. Please see Additional Information below.
Department: Health Plan Operations FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Community Health Supervisor Physical Strength: Light (L)
This position works with the Community Advisory Council, staff, and external partners to complete projects that support community health improvements and meet the goals of the Yamhill Community Care (YCCO) strategic plans. This position is responsible for facilitating completion of initiatives identified by the Community Health Improvement Plan (CHIP) by assisting with documentation of initiative goals, monitoring, and evaluation of progress and quality of outcomes by performing the following duties.
Learn more about Yamhill Community Care: click here
1. Engages with community partners, and staff to promote and support the furthering of community health goals and initiatives.
2. Serves as the primary support and facilitator for all Community Advisory Council activities.
3. In partnership with the Community Health Supervisor, facilitates the development, execution and on-going monitoring of Community Health Needs Assessments and the CHIP.
- Acts as a liaison between internal and external partners, advisory council, contractors, tribal partners, and stakeholders to facilitate collaboration and consensus building.
- Collaborates with tribal programs, community agencies, local hospitals, traditional-health worker network, and county prevention programs to implement CHIP-related and Social Determinants of Health (SDoH) wellness programs and interventions.
- Identifies and engages members and related partners and community stakeholders in improvement initiatives through a variety of methods including one-on-one interaction, focus groups, workgroups, and committees.
- Coordinates accountability through maintaining reports, records, and documentation related to community health initiatives.
- Organizes, facilitates, and participates in meetings of stakeholder groups to identify needs and builds consensus and collaboration.
- Collaborates with Communications Committee, Equity Committee, Member Engagement Workgroup, Committee Leads workgroup, and other pertinent groups to support effective communication and program activities are addressed.
- Works with community to vet, implement, and share out public updates related to the Health Equity Plan progress, ensuring equitable and inclusive access to health services for Yamhill Community Care (YCCO) members, Clinical Advisory Committee (CAC) members, and staff.
- Oversees recruitment, onboarding, maintenance, mentorship, collaborative problem solving and engagement of members participating in advisory council meetings and activities.
- Engages in on-going advisory council member recruitment, promotion, and outreach in the community.
- Creates work processes for continuous recruitment and training for council members including advisory council roster and membership role matrix.
- Maximizes engagement of Council members and supports their ability to provide outreach to the community, including ensuring compliance with all CAC reporting and public posting requirements, and feedback to Yamhill CCO strategies and community planning.
- Develops and facilitates meetings that support the purpose of the Council to identify and improve preventive care practices, population health, and strategies to address social determinants of health in the community.
- Develops and facilitates inclusive meetings that are accessible to those who have a disability, limited English proficiency, diverse backgrounds, etc.
- Represents the Council at state and local advisory committees and workgroups to support and assist the Council and its chairs in achieving its goals.
- Monitors and regularly communicates status of each initiative to the Council and ensures progress toward completion and within agreed upon timelines, budget, etc.
Community Health Improvement
- Confers with the Council, YCCO management and staff, external contractors, tribal partners, and other stakeholders to understand community needs and solutions critical to execution and success of each identified initiative.
- Leads and assists in the development and coordination of project assignments and plans that outline tasks, communications, milestones, priorities, needs and resources, as needed.
- Consults with staff, partners, and stakeholders to resolve issues, identify and minimize risks and develop contingency plans.
- Manages partner reporting and evaluation process, ensuring timely delivery of grant reports and tracking budget and payment processes to partners.
- Analyzes, collects, prepares, and distributes appropriate evaluation materials and communicate to the Council and other key stakeholders.
- Develops and implements project plans that align with YCCO’s objectives, coordinates deliverables, and reports back to the team.
- Makes formal and informal presentations and reports providing updates and other relevant information on the status of initiatives including an annual progress report of the community health improvement plan.
- Represents the organization regarding initiatives including facilitating and working effectively to develop consensus within divergent groups and/or groups with divergent viewpoints.
Essential Department & Organizational Functions
- Proposes and implements process improvements.
- Meets deadlines for completion of workload.
- Demonstrates cooperation and teamwork.
- Provides cross-training on specific job responsibilities.
- Meets identified business goals that contribute to departmental goals.
- Maintains punctual, regular, and predictable attendance of agreed upon schedule.
- Works collaboratively in a team environment with a spirit of cooperation.
- Respectfully takes direction from supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of community needs assessment development process and community health improvement plans.
- Knowledge of Public Health and Population Health concepts and application in a community setting.
- Demonstrated skills in community convening and facilitation.
- Excellent listening, verbal communication, and presentation skills, including ability to articulate concepts to staff, partners, and stakeholders.
- Excellent written composition and expression skills.
- Refined interpersonal maturity and skills and a high level of emotional and social intelligence.
- Ability to develop project plans, prioritize tasks and meet objectives and use of software or other tools to track milestones and outcomes.
- Ability to research best practices to meet deliverables and to stay abreast of emerging opportunities that support innovative ways of addressing identified goals.
- Ability to informally lead peers, cross-functional partners, and management toward shared goal attainment.
- Ability to identify and anticipate issues and act proactively to formulate plans and recommendations to address potential issues.
- Ability to coordinate multiple cross and parallel initiatives.
- Ability to critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources.
- Ability to proactively communicate and collaborate with a variety of individuals and groups.
- Well-developed organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to build and maintain professional relationships with community stakeholders.
- Ability to work in an environment with diverse individuals and groups.
- Ability to manage multiple activities, organization communications, and frequently competing priorities.
- Ability to use inspiration, persuasion, and encouragement to complete projects.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Ability to perform essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Education & Experience
- Minimum three (3) years related experience required, including community engagement and assessment of needs, community-based outreach, facilitation, health promotion, program development, tracking, evaluation, and reporting.
- Any combination of education and experience that would qualify candidate for the position.
- Bilingual English/Spanish,
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Public Health, Healthcare or Public Administration, or related field,
- Program experience with the Medicaid population.
Certificates, Licenses and/or Registrations
This position does not require any certificates, licenses, or registrations.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this position. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, use hands and fingers, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee may occasionally need to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
This position operates in a professional office environment and requires frequent use of standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This position may include occasional required or optional travel outside of the workplace, in which the employee’s personal vehicle, local transit, or other means of transportation may be used.
Additional Information about COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements
To safeguard the health of our employees and their families; our members and visitors; and the community at large, YCCO requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious accommodation as a qualification of employment.
Job candidates that receive a contingent offer of employment from YCCO must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination, along with a completed attestation that the documentation submitted is true and correct to Human Resources Department;
Submit a completed request for accommodation form due to a medical reason or sincerely held religious belief to the Human Resources Department to begin the interactive accommodation process.